2 a depository for goods; "storehouses were built close to the docks" [syn: storehouse, entrepot, storage, store]
Pronunciationděpō, and always in the US: dēpō
- Rhymes: -ɛpəʊ
Etymologyfrom French dépôt, from Old French depost, from Medieval Latin depositum, from Latin, neuter of deponere
a bus or railway station
- Finnish: asema
a place where military recruits are assembled before being sent to active units
- Finnish: kutsuntapaikka
Depot (děpō or dēpō) is from the French dépôt which means a deposit (as in geology or banking) or a storehouse. In English, depot can mean any one of a number of things, with minor variances between the different English speaking countries:
- A centralized store or operating base for logistical use by commercial or governmental bodies for storage of goods, training of personnel, or maintenance of vehicles.
- A railway or bus station.
- A large train or bus station, not usually for the transportation of people, but rather for the maintenance, service, or storage of vehicles.
- A hub for the distribution of goods.
- A place or building where buses (see bus garage), trains, or trams belonging to a particular company are stored and serviced when not in use.
- In medical terms, a depot injection is a long-acting formulation of an injectable drug.
- The Royal Canadian Mounted Police training facility in Regina, Saskatchewan is known simply as the Depot.
- A nickname for the Maxwell Street Depot, a popular 24-hour fast food joint on the South Side of Chicago with locations ranging from Bridgeport to South Shore.
- Depot are an indie band from Ealing, West London. Details of the band can be found on their official website: http://www.depotlondon.com
depot in Danish: Depot
depot in German: Depot
depot in Russian: Депо
depot in French: Dépôt
depot in Spanish: Depósito
depot in Italian: Deposito
depot in Portuguese: Depósito
archives, armory, arsenal, attic, bank, basement, bay, bin, bonded warehouse, bookcase, box, bunker, buttery, cargo dock, cellar, chest, closet, conservatory, crate, crib, cupboard, depository, dock, drawer, dump, exchequer, glory hole, godown, hold, hutch, library, locker, lumber room, lumberyard, magasin, magazine, rack, repertory, repository, reservoir, rick, shelf, stack, stack room, stock room, storage, store, storehouse, storeroom, supply base, supply depot, tank, terminal, terminus, treasure house, treasure room, treasury, vat, vault, warehouse, wine cellar